Every year Roof Beam Reader hosts an Official TBR Pile Challenge. The aim of this challenge is to get through some of the books that have been sitting on our TBR piles for at least a year. That means that this year, any book published in 2013 or before is eligible. This is the only limitation - you can read books from any genre, published as long before 2013 as you want!
I participated in this challenge last year, and I didn't do all that well. The biggest problem for me, of course, is that I'm a mood reader. It's very hard to decide ahead of time (and stick to a list) which books I'm going to read in an upcoming year. I read over 40 books that would have qualified - but they weren't ones I had on my list, and you're not allowed to change it (other than subbing in the two alternates stated) once you've set your goals.
But it's good to have something to work towards, so regardless of my lack of success last time around, I'm giving it another go this year. Below is a list of books I've been meaning to read for quite some time now (most longer than a year) and that I'm pretty sure I will at least consider reading in the upcoming year!
- The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
- Love Is the Higher Law - David Levithan
- The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie
- Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo
- Bel Canto - Ann Patchett
- The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling
- Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan
Just Kids - Patti Smith- Review here
- Last Night In Montreal - Emily St. John Mandel
- The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan- Review to follow Why New Orleans Matters - Tom Piazza- Not reviewed separately, see bottom of post for my thoughts
- Stories I Only Tell My Friends - Rob Lowe
- The Ocean At the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
Books Not Reviewed Separately:
Why New Orleans Matters - Tom Piazza